Sunday, January 1, 2017

Music Program for Parijat Academy

https://www.gofundme.com/music-program-for-parijat-academy
-Gitu Barooah
Every year since 2009, my students and I have done service projects in India, as part of a study trip. Our goal has been to help those who need it most, in a way that is sustainable and continuous. Since I am an educator leading students, we made children and education our focus.

Over the years, we have worked in various resettlement colonies in New Delhi teaching hundreds of children letters, numbers, arts, craft, drama, and each one of them stole our hearts. But over the last few years, I have taken my students to work in the place I am from, and to which my soul  belongs - beautiful Assam.

In Assam, we work in Parijat Academy, a pre-K to 10th grade school, founded by Uttam Teron, and run entirely through donations, volunteers, and the immense goodwill of kind people around the world. The spirit of the children and teachers there are joyous, and every minute spent there has been fun. They do so much with so little. (You can find out more about them by going to
 http://parijatacademy.com/)

Parijat has a budding band . . .but they need a drum-set. Uttam Teron said to me, "If we can get even a second-hand set of drums, the children will be so happy."
But I thought to myself, why just a second-hand set of drums? Why not a couple of guitars? And perhaps the services of a good music teacher? Then they can keep making beautiful music forever.

All the funds raised here will go towards buying a drum-set and other instruments, hiring a teacher, and starting a music program for Parijat.

In return for your contribution, you will receive cards hand made by Parijat students, photographs of the band, and a short music video of the children performing. And better yet - the joy of knowing that somewhere in a small corner of the world, children are making music with your help.
Help spread the word!


No comments: