Monday, August 6, 2012

Summer Festival photos and Message














Words of Volunteer  programme  coordinator:

The purpose of the Parijat Academy Summer Festival was to have a day of celebration for the beautiful children of Parijat. The children of Parijat are truly amazing. They engage in intensive study year-round although they have many obstacles in their lives. Many of these students come from a disadvantaged background and they don’t always have access to the best things. Yet, from the moment I arrived at Parijat Academy I was amazed at the dedication and perseverance of these students. I was truly humbled when I saw students walking long distances just to attend school. As well as attending classes consistently, some days without electricity. Since I’ve gotten to Parijat Academy all I could think about is how amazing it is that these children are trying their best even with the odds stacked against them. 

Thus, Kevin and I (Derrika Hunt) wanted to do something special with the students of Parijat. We wanted to have a day just for them, to show them how special and important they are. We wanted these children to feel like they are valuable and worthy, because they are. Yet many times those who are underprivileged often get overlooked and forgotten about by society. But, I wanted the children of Parijat to come to the Summer Festival and think “Wow, someone took time out to do all of this for me?” Therefore, we organized a variety of activities for the children to play, laugh, relax and simply enjoy themselves. Activities ranged from sports activities to face painting to an egg decorating contest. The smiles on the children’s faces let me know that our efforts had not gone in vain. I could feel my heart overflowing with love and happiness as I watched the children while they smiled, laughed, danced, played and sang.

No comments: